A home sleep test (HST) is right for you if you and your doctor think you may be suffering obstructive sleep apnea (OSA). Obstructive sleep apnea blocks your airways, prevents you from getting enough oxygen, and disrupts the normal, restorative function of sleep.
Physicians have traditionally diagnosed sleep disorders such as sleep apnea with a sleep study. These are performed overnight and in a sleep lab, usually in hospital.
Globally the trend has been a move to Home based sleep apnea studies as compared to doing sleep apnea studies In Hospital. Recently in South Africa this has also changed. This has also accelerated due to hospital limitations caused by Covid-19.
A sleep study, also referred to polysomnogram (PSG), is a non-invasive clinical test that can help your doctor diagnose sleep-related disorders including: Insomnia, Obstructive and Central Sleep Apnea, Restless Leg Syndrome, Periodic Limb Movements Disorder, Narcolepsy and Sleepwalking.
Studies that are done at home are mainly focussed on Obstructive and Central Sleep apnea detection. These are performed using portable sleep tests that perform as well as In Hospital equipment for detecting Sleep Apnea. In South Africa Level 3 type devices are approved for use at home.
Key reasons for the shift for Sleep apnea detection at Home are:
- Results are comprehensive and sufficient for detection of Sleep Apnea—clear guidelines have been provided by the Sleep society in terms of diagnostic output and results required for sleep apnea studies
- More convenient and comfortable– In-lab sleep studies can be inconvenient and uncomfortable. You need to set aside an entire night when you can travel to a sleep clinic or hospital and stay overnight. Falling asleep in an unfamiliar place isn’t always easy. If you struggle to fall asleep when you’re not in your own bed, imagine trying to sleep in a laboratory with countless wires and monitors attached to you. A home sleep study allows you to sleep in your own home and in your own bed with less cumbersome monitoring equipment.
- More Accessible as you can receive your test equipment by courier anywhere in South Africa
- Less Expensive as you do not have the In Hospital costs
Some of the signs of sleep apnea include:
- Loud snoring
- Sleeping with your mouth open
- Frequent awakenings
- Awakening due to trouble breathing
- Daytime sleepiness
- Changes in mood
If your symptoms point to sleep apnea, then a Home Sleep Test (HST) may be right for you.
Discuss your symptoms with your doctor who can order you a home sleep test.
If you have these symptoms, then a simple check would be a test called STOPBANG. Click here to view the STOPBANG Questionnaire Or contact us at Airo Health Care on email@example.com or +27 (011) 4630361 and one of our trusted staff members will be happy to assist and recommend the best solution for you.
Home sleep apnea tests (HSATs) are gaining in popularity with cardiologists and patients. Learn why: https://lnkd.in/dCSPsASS